What You Need:
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup dry milk powder
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
- In a large bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, confectioner’s sugar, dry milk and salt.
2. Add the melted butter, vanilla extract, and corn syrup, to a small bowl. Using a fork, whisk forcefully until everything is completely combined.
3. Stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture. It will at first appear like there isn’t enough liquid, but keep going. Using your hands knead the mixture together for a few minutes. Eventually it will go from powdery to chocolaty and smooth. Form the dough into a round ball.
4. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1/2-inch slices. Take one slice and roll it into a long, thin rope. Then cut the rope into 1-inch tootsie rolls. Transfer the cut tootsie rolls to a baking sheet or cooling rack. Repeat the process until you’ve formed about 30 tootsie rolls. Put the tootsie rolls in the fridge for 1 hour and until firm.
5. Wrap the tootsie rolls in parchment or wax paper pieces 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch squares.
Yields 34 Tootsie Rolls